Saturday, June 22, 2013

Last Workdays and Midsummer Week :3

It's midsummer's day here in Tampere, Finland - sunny, all the shops and restaurants are closed, public life is dead and most people are sleeping off to recover from a wild drinking-party night. That's a good opportunity to take a rest, sit down and write about these last days and my feelings about them.
In short, I feel glorious! - but here's the reasons why and more detailed explanations and stories:

Thursday was the last day at work. Enkku's closed for summer holidays and when it opens again in August, I won't be there anymore. Many families brought presents for us teachers, which is, I think, not really common in my own home country, but maybe it's because this is a private day care place, so the relationship between workers and families are sort of closer. I did my best to devote enough time to each and every child before saying the last goodbyes and I'm so grateful and happy that I had the chance to come to this specific kindergarten to spend this schoolyear at. The final day seemed so short and before I knew it, the last one of the children was picked up. I feel like I didn't quite realize it until the moment I stepped out through the main door for the last time, but I did well holding back the tears that fought a battle to fill my eyes. Saying goodbye is always the hardest the more you enjoyed what's come to an end, but instead of looking back too much, I have to direct my eyes forward, for I still have a lot of plans for the summer, many beautiful experiences to take delight in and eventually coming back to visit Enkku and it's people once again. :)

Yesterday was also Midsummer Evening here in Scandinavia, which pretty much meant - drinking. A little bit like Vappu, but more of a private thing and most people were heading somewhere to the north to their "mökki".  As a matter of fact, I don't have one of these summer cottages on my own, so I headed to a beach in Pispala with some friends, equipped with enough to drink and a spoonful of party mood, where there was maybe the only public happening. Lots and lots of Tampere people gathered in front of the lake (Pyhäjärvi), sitting on blankets, going swimming, listening to some bands playing and drinking, drinking, drinking. Midsummer is, except for Vappu, most probably the only time in the whole year that you will be able to see Finnish people singing at the bus stop (and quite skilled that is!) and strangers just coming up to you talking and inviting you to even join them!
Time moved on and soon it was evening. Busses were cut down so much that the last bus was running at 23:30, but due to heavy drinking and partying plus the fact that the sun was still high up in the sky, it felt kinda unreal and you tended to loose all your sense of time. By any means, it was a great night - thanks to Christin, Jani, Nele and Guille and all the other people that I didn't know!



In addition, the best host mother ever and her cute daughter came home from 3 weeks of holidays on legendary Hawaii - and they brought the mood along with a lot of souvenirs with them! Decorations, food and oldschool music playing keep the ambience of this tropical island still lingering in the house.

"Thank you again, Mirkka, for the beautiful dress and accessory! <3 You are the best!"



Also, my return flight home is booked now - travel time 15.07.
Just a couple of days after my departure from Finland there will be a barbecue party of some old classmates and good friends awaiting me. Furthermore, my family annouced a big "Welcome back"-happening and I will accompany my sister and her friend to Vienna for a couple of days, so I have a lot to look forward to even then. ^o~

What's left to be done is - of course - seize every chance of experiencing some more of Finlands peculiarities, enjoying Tampere during 3 weeks of holidays and maybe travelling some more!

In a nutshell, I feel quite ecstatic in consideration of every moment of these last 10 months and my plans for the next one to come, so proud and amazing! Here's a super big heavy thanks to everyone involved in making this possible!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment